Dry skin on the face is a very very common skin type that we get asked about all the time so I thought I’d write about what causes it and how best to treat it. For a start it can be uncomfortable-itchy, flaky and tight feeling with rough patches. The skin often looks dull as it lacks moisture and oil and has no natural glow and unfortunately a dry skin tends to age quicker and show lines and wrinkles sooner than other skin types and this is once again due to the lack of natural moisture.
So what causes dry skin?
- Weather: The cold dry air in winter deprives the skin of moisture, stripping the protective layer off the surface of the skin and so does prolonged exposure to the sun cause moisture loss.
- Air-conditioning: The dry air from air conditioners act like a sponge and soak up moisture from everything including your skin. Most offices are equipped with air conditioning systems so it tends to be unavoidable so a good skin regime will be required to combat the moisture loss.
- Lifestyle: Our trend towards low fat and fat free diets deprives our skin of essential fatty acids(EFAs) which are essential for optimum skin functioning. EFA’s are the good fats found in foods such as avocado, oily fish, olive oil etc. Not drinking enough water also deprives the body and skin of valuable moisture. Smoking not only depletes the skin of moisture but also drains the body of Vitamins A and C, constricting blood flow.
- Incorrect product usage: Dry skin can also be as a result of not using the correct skin care to suit your skin type- always ensure you’re using products specifically for a dry skin.
- and party girls….watch your alcohol intake as alcohol can contribute to dry skin
Making a few lifestyle changes and following a good skin care regime will soon see your skin healthy, soft and hydrated.
Here are a few recommendations for skin care products for dry skin:
Dry Skin Cleansers: Alpha-H Soothing and Calming Cleansing Gel
Dry Skin Exfoliator: Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant
Dry Skin Moisturisers:ASAP Ultimate Hydration
Dry Skin Mask: AHAVA Intensive Hydration Mask