As a Beauty Therapist the most common questions I get asked about the eyes is “How do I apply eye cream?” “Why can’t I use my moisturiser?” and “How to keep my eyes looking bright and radiant?”
The skin around the eye is the most delicate skin on your body. It has fewer oil glands, often shows the first signs of ageing and is more sensitive than the rest of the face. The pores under the eyes are much smaller than that of the rest of the face, so using your moisturiser, which can be a rich texture can actually cause little whiteheads. Another reason is that the tear ducts are in the eyes, and if a moisturiser has added AHA’s and fragrances this could get into the tear ducts causing sensitivity and irritation.
Picking your perfect product.
Eye cream is an essential step to any good skin care routine. Choose an eye cream that targets your areas of concern. All eye creams will hydrate the eye contour area. The decision of which eye cream to use is a personal choice;
Fine lines and wrinkles we would recommend,
Combat puffiness and dark circles try,
Or try an eye cream that combines ingredients to do both like,
Applying your eye cream
- Apply every morning and night after cleansing and before your moisturiser. You only need a rice grain size for both eyes.
- Using your ring finger (the ring finger has the lightest amount of pressure) with a dabbing like motion, (do not rub) apply the cream along the orbital bone from the inner corner under the eye moving outwards and underneath the brows. The outwards action is great for lymphatic drainage to help reduce puffy eyes.
- Do not apply directly on top of your eyelids or on the lash lines as this can irritate your eyes, causing them to swell and give you extra-unwanted baggage.
Tips for keeping the skin around the eyes healthy.
In addition to choosing the proper eye cream, maintaining healthy skin around the eyes is also important.
• Avoid smoking cigarettes.
• Stay out of the sun.
• Wear sunglasses to avoid squinting.
• Get plenty of rest.
• Limit alcohol intake.
• Use cotton pads when removing makeup to avoid unnecessary tugging and pulling on the delicate tissue.
• Use a quality professionally recommended skin care products for the area around the eyes.
To happy bright and radiant eyes!